February 26, 2015

Interview Around the Globe with Stanley Morris

Today we have a new Author. Stanley Morris is an author that contacted me to do an interview. Let welcome this new author to Interviews around the Globe.

I would like you to meet our newest author that wanted to try our feature. We welcome Stanley to our community. #Interviews, #Interviewsaroundtheglobe, #NRC



I'm Stan Morris, born in California, educated in New Mexico, and now living on the island of Maui. The photo was taken on vacation in South Dakota.

Connect with Stanley:
Website: http://warmhawaiian.wix.com/survivingthefog
https://sites.google.com/site/stanandrene/home
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Surviving-the-Fog/247365665471675
Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/104197033279710118346
Twitter: https://twitter.com/morriss003

Describe your *Latest/Recent* book in 20 Words or Less?
My most recent book was What's In My Shorts? which is a compilation of my short stories.

Where or how did you come up with the idea for your story (in this book)?
There are three main stories in this collection. The Qrim Chieftain is a fantasy about a barbarian chieftain who vows revenge on the princess who scorned him. San, the Amphibian is about an amphibian who acquires a servant girl from a planet with the unlikely name of Earth.
I honestly don't remember when or how these stories occurred to me.
The third story is New Friends. This was a self challenge to see if I could write a story that skirted the boundary between the sensual and the erotic.

How important are names to you in your book(s)? Do you choose the names based on liking the way it sounds or the meaning? Do you have any name choosing resources you that you?
The names I use are important. I used Gayiana so it could be changed by the chieftain to Gaysha and later to Gayshal. Each name designates her status; princess, slave girl, lover.
In San, I wanted names that suggested water, such as Splo and Flippi. In New Friends, from the beginning, I planned for Chastity, Faith, and Hope.

Which of your characters (in this book) is your favorite and Why?
Nilda the protagonist from New Friends is my favorite. Her story is that of a girl who hungers for friends and willingly comes under the domination of a couple of her classmates. But her need to love changes them. It was a joy to slowly evolve her.

Was there a certain scene *in this book* that was harder for you to write than others?
There are several disturbing scenes in New Friends, but the hardest to write was a scene in Qrim in which Gaysha exposes herself so her people will accept that they have a new barbarian leader. It was not easy to explain the justification for that.

If you could cast your characters in the Hollywood adaptation of your book, who would play your characters?
I don't know, but I was impressed by Elle Fanning's acting in Super 8. I also like the boy who plays Carl in The Walking Dead.

What was your favorite part to write and why? (Alternate Q: What is your least favorite part of the publishing / writing process?)
As with many writers, I do not enjoy the marketing process. I'm getting used to it, but it is difficult to get buzz for a book in the myriad of books presently being published. I use social media a lot.

Just as your books inspire authors, what authors have inspired you to write? (Alternate Q: If you didn't like writing books, what would you do for a living?, What writing advice do you have for other aspiring authors?
I have been inspired by many writers, but Robert Heinlein and Jayne Ann Krentz were the most important. Pamela Morisi writes books that treat religious characters sympathetically without comic book characterization, and I like that.

I have two pieces of advice for writers. First, always have more than one piece going, so you can switch if you are not in the mood to write about one. Second, if you plan to write a series, write at least two before publishing the first, and then make the first book free. This will help you get your name and book known to readers.

Do you read your reviews? Do you respond to them, good or bad? Do you have any advice on how to deal with the bad?
I read my reviews very carefully, and I take to heart constructive criticism. I'm not happy to have errors in my books, but I'm happy when readers bring those to my attention. I usually don't respond, but now and then, I give in to temptation.
A writer should ignore a review that amounts to name calling.

What are you working on now? What is your next project?
I'm presently working on three books in the Surviving the Fog series. These are Howard the Red, Douglas Lives, and Sasha and Kim. They are offshoots of Surviving the Fog, my most popular book.

Bonus Question: Characters often find themselves in situations they aren't sure they can get themselves out of. When was the last time you found yourself in a situation that was hard to get out of and what did you do?

I don't find myself in dangerous situation nowadays, but when I was young, I used to hitchhike. That was dangerous. I've been in cars with criminals, drug users, and sexual predators. I stayed cool and got out at the first opportunity.

Thank you for stopping by Interview Around the Globe. We have enjoyed your time. Thank you Stanley. I hope you see you back here at Nighttime Reading Center.


Follow NRC: | Facebook | Twitter | Bloglovin | Pinterest | Goodreads | Google + | Smashwords | Fictfact | Riffle |
Linkedin | Sign up for NRC Newsletter |

3 comments:

  1. Shared around the sphere. Good luck Lindsay, this is a fantastic event and worthy cause

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want it to go around for as long as possible and during the whole month of March.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for organizing this, Lindsay!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...